— PERSONAL PROJECT
Yelp App UI/UX Redesign Case Study
July 2021 – September 2021
What is Yelp?
Yelp is a popular mobile application (also available on the web) where users post and read reviews about businesses that they visited. Users also use Yelp for
1. ordering food delivery or pickup
2. reserving a table at a restaurant
3. see ratings of a business
4. explore what a business has
5. booking appointments
Why redesign Yelp?
During the lockdown, many businesses either closed, reduced their hours, or made some sort of alterations for their indoor/outdoor dining and takeout/delivery options.
I didn't use Yelp much at the time other than to see what's new and popular. But, I started to use it again since I started to see more ads for it with good deals at my local restaurants. The mobile application has more navigation pages other than the tabs at the bottom. These were all located under either the "Me" or "More" tabs. The location of these navigation pages were not intuitive. Some of these pages had the same name but lead to different pages and some were in both tabs.
Although I do use Yelp from time to time, I only use a few features. It also has been a while so the mobile application has changed a lot. So, I will explore the app more in detail to learn more about its navigation, other features, and its architecture. I want to improve the user's experience.
For user research, I interviewed a couple Yelp users. Some use the app very often while some rarely use it at all.
What I learned from the interviews:
1. The most used feature is to search for businesses with most reviews.
2. Most users read reviews for recommendations and to see what's popular at a restaurant. Some say that can sometimes be difficult to keep track of which item is most recommended from reviews or many reviews are too lengthy to read (and not guaranteed a recommendation).
3. Few users are not aware of the social aspects of Yelp such as messaging system, friends, and followers.
4. Some users check their friends' and the people they follow's activities often to see popular businesses and to read reviews.
5. Most users use the app to create a collection of businesses that they are interested in visiting one day or save collections created by other Yelp users.
6. Some look at menu photos of a business to see prices but photos are not sorted by date and there is not option to sort them.
Reviews found on the App Store